Meet Art of Todd
"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend." - Bruce Lee
I AM a Sea Cliff, Long Island based creative artist hailing from Akron, Ohio, a small industrial town. I’m bustin’ out of L7 – the square life! The world tries so hard to make us into blocks fitting in a square hole. I'm a circle and I'm sure if you are reading this, you are probably are too! My life has been the journey of an artist. Unabashedly, I have patterned myself after folks like Miles Davis, Martin Luther King, Jr., Deion Sanders, Zidane, Claude DeBussy, Muhammed Ali, Tupac, Malcolm X and all women of the world. Substance and style...understanding shortcomings and turning them into strengths… being fluid and open to change... producing something that will make the world a better place...
Growing up, my trumpet was like my right arm. After earning a trumpet scholarship to DePauw University, I soon realized I couldn’t play like I envisioned in my head. I transferred to Kent State University and graduated with a degree in Journalism.
After college, I moved to New York City, landing a Product Management internship at Epic Records. I couldn't live with regret so chose not to pursue a day job in the music industry. I then worked at Columbia University. After two years, I quit and donated my suits to Goodwill. I learned guitar at the New School and decided music was for me.
I pursued a career in Hip-Hop/R&B production with my brother. In the music world, I accomplished quite a bit, if not absolutely fulfilling my dreams -
In 2013, I had songs featured in the Off-Broadway Play "The Obeah Symphony", written by Jackie Alexander and Kesi Foster, which was in production at the legendary Billie Holiday Theater in Brooklyn, NY from May 1 - June 30, 2013. This production will be scheduled for a nationwide tour too!
After a difficult break-up with a girlfriend combined with a seemingly dead music career, I began to paint as a form of therapy.
- A heavy dose of Tupac and a few bottles of Budweiser spurred my creativity and eased the pain. What began as crude drawings bloomed into mixed-media works of art. Guess by definition, this would make me a self-taught artist; each work a life story chronicling the universal experience.
- I was accepted as an artist member with the Ward-Nasse art gallery in SoHo (NYC) and sold my first original painting. I went on to participate in and sell paintings at art shows throughout NYC. I was also commissioned to paint works.
- In 2007, sold my first museum-quality original fine art print. In 2008, opened ArtofTodd.com.
- In 2009, participated in the Glenwood Arts opening gala (see video below) in Glenwood Landing, NY (Long Island). Fell in love with art as form of expression. Shifted gears to singing and songwriting.
- 2013 - Thanks to all my patrons who have purchased prints and my originals! I'm continuing to create.
Art of Todd...be part of the cool!
Art of Todd Original Fine Art Prints